This type of gauntlet is called Milanese style Mitten Gauntlets. The inspiration for them can be found on the famous Avant armor set in Glasgow. The back of the hand and the cuff are cut and bent to shape to form an hourglass shape for a high degree of flexibility without sacrificing much protection.
The main part which protects the fingers where formed from a rectangular and almost semicircular shape. both of which were lightly dished and then deeply dished around the edges to decrease the size of a seam that would form in the opening or closing of the gauntlets.
Due to the way that I cut the main part of the hand, however, I was unable to use the same style of thumb protection that is on the Avant set gauntlets. Instead I used a style of thumbs similar to those see on the equally famous gauntlets found at Churnburg Castle which is held in place by leather suspension rather than a hinge.
All that was left was to assemble it all together by light riveting the hinges and tightly riveting the parts held on be leather suspension. I also added some leather straps to help hold the gauntlets more tightly onto a glove.
No comments:
Post a Comment