With the exception of a single conical helmet this was the first true helmet I ever made.
Its based on the a sallet found in Nuremberg Germany and was supposed to be the first peice in my late 14th early 15th century harness. similar to the one below.
Initially I had intended to create it the historical way by a process known as raising wherein by hammer and heat a single piece of metal is beaten over a stake until it comes to a semi-spherical form.
Given my limited tools and experience, however, this proved to be an enormous waste of time and gas.
In the end it cut I and welded it using a mig welder.
The other three things I did too it was create a German style half visor and added the historical ridge at the top. I installed a liner by sewing padding to leather then riveting it to the sides of the helmet. Unfortunately, while it fits it came out somewhat too tight so I may make another helmet



No comments:
Post a Comment